Well coming to the end of July and I really struggled with what to make out of this issue. I was going to make the Beef Daube on the front cover but I just haven't had the time. I was then going to make the Creamy Pancetta, Brie & Mushroom Croissants. They sounded terrific and would make a good brunch. I even bought croissants to make it but they never made it that far, I just ate them heated with jam....yum!
Finally I decided to make the Creamy Chicken, Pea & Bacon Pies. These were lovely looking and I thought that it would be something that would be great to have for a very busy night tomorrow night. I am decorating a birthday cake tomorrow after work and I also have to make a couple of dips. So in between making buttercream for the cake and dipping strawberries in dark chocolate I made the filling for these pies. The filling was a little salty but very tasty. So I placed it in one of my Corelle serving bowls and covered with glad wrap to place in the fridge. While doing this I managed to knock the bowl off the counter dumping the contents on the floor and smashing my bowl. So, unfortunately I will not be able to make my pies tomorrow night and since I will be spending Saturday at the party I will not get a chance to make anything else from this issue. I will definitely give this another go as I really liked the filling and it was really easy to do.
Creamy Chicken, Pea & Bacon Pies
- 2 - 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into 2 cm cubes (I cut mine smaller)
- 6 bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 tsp thyme leaves
- 60 g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 c (35 g) plain flour
- 2 c (500 ml) chicken stock, heated
- 1/3 c (80 ml) thickened cream
- 3 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 c (120 g) frozen peas
- 375 g block puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Heat oil in deep pan, cook chicken in batches until browned, set aside in a bowl.
- Add bacon to pan and fry until slightly crispy. Add to bowl with chicken.
- Add onion to pan and cook until soft without colouring, then add garlic.
- Add wine and herbs to pan and reduce to approx 1 tbsp. The add to bowl with chicken & bacon.
- Melt butter in pan add flour and cook for 2 minutes or until golden.
- Slowly add stock, stirring, and cook until smooth and thickened.
- Return chicken mixture to pan with cream and simmer until thickened.
- Season to taste and the place in a bowl and cool completely.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 C.
- Mix the creme fraiche and peas into the chicken mixture.
- Spoon into 4 individual pie dishes, or one 2 litre baking dish.
- Roll out pastry to 5 mm thick. Cut out 4 rounds to use as lids. Cut a thin strip from the edge of each piece, brush with a little water and press onto the rim of each pie dish.
- Brush once more with water, then cover each dish with pastry. Press pastry edges together to seal, then trim excess.
- Brush the tops of the pies with a little egg.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until pastry is golden and the filling is heated through, then serve.