Wednesday 24 February 2010

February 2008 - Strawberry Muffins

There were two recipes that I have had marked to try since I bought issue #68 the first is Belinda Jeffery's Star Anise Chicken with Gingered Red Cabbage. I had intended all along to make it to post here. However when I was looking red cabbage was really expensive. I have, however found half a tiny head that was reasonably priced so I will probably make it this weekend. I may even post it as an extra, so stay tuned.

The other recipe that I have had marked to make were some lush looking Strawberry Muffins that are part of a feature by Valli Little on healthy back to school lunch boxes. There are a number of other recipes in there that I may try at some point too as I am always looking for something nice for lunch. The Spicy Felafel Wraps sound great although I am very partial to Simon Bryant's Felafel with Yoghurt sauce that he made on The Cook and The Chef show on the ABC here in Oz. The Lamb Pasties definite sound like something to try and have in the freezer for when I can't be bothered doing anything but turn the oven on. The Potato Frittata sounds great but I am reluctant to use 8 eggs in anything that doesn't involve sugar.

In the end the decision to make the Strawberry Muffins wasn't hard as my local IGA supermarket had strawberries on a very good special so I picked up a punnet or 6. I used some of them to make a Glazed Strawberry Tart on the weekend from my Gramma's recipe. It was beautiful.

Glazed strawberry tart piece


That took almost 4 punnets but I still had another 2 and a bit to use up. I had some for breakfast with cereal but I decided that I would take one of the extra punnets and make the muffins. They are soft and have a subtle strawberry flavour with the chunks of berry disintegrating slightly. They have the right amount of sweetness. Perhaps the only complaint is that there is a bit much butter. I think I would reduce it to 60 g next time. Although with the giant mint slice, the pie and now muffins I certainly will not be making them again any time soon. I have put most of the muffins in the freezer so that there is something sweet when a craving hits.

Strawberry Muffins

Makes 12 (I actually got 20)

Ingredients
  • 400g plain flour, sifted
  • 165g caster sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 punnet strawberries, chopped
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 300ml buttermilk
  • 80g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
Method
  • Pre-heat oven to 190 C (fan-forced).
  • Line muffin trays with papers.
  • Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and stir well.
  • Add strawberries and stir to coat in the flour.
  • Mix wet ingredients in a separate bowl. (I used my 500ml measuring jug)
  • Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until only just combined.
  • Fill papers 2/3 to 3/4 full.
  • Bake 18 - 20 minutes or until risen and slightly golden.

Strawberry Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment