I made this recipe several weeks ago now. This was one of the things that I made when I was struggling so badly. When things go a bit crazy for me some times it is the little things that I focus on. One of those things is cooking. I find that while I can barely function at work or in the home I can normally produce some pretty amazing food (even if I do say so myself). I also tend to really focus on good food too rather than junky food or fat laden cakes and desserts as it helps to lift me out of the depths. Although I will admit that when deep, deep down in depression I will crave Mac & Cheese. Not just any mac & cheese though. Homemade with a thick sauce flavoured with finely diced onion & bacon and 3 or 4 different types of cheese and a hint of hot mustard. It is as much about the process of making it as the actual eating that helps me.
I was really impressed with these fritters for breakfast. I would definitely make them again. Although would probably try using well-drained tinned corn next time to see if it works. Not that I really mind removing the kernels from cobs but it can be a bit messy, time consuming and means that these would be a seasonal thing. I didn't have any roma tomatoes but did have some small grape tomatoes so roasted them instead. I just added extra parsley in place of the coriander. I made half the recipe and got 4 nice sized fritters from it.
Sweetcorn Fritters with Roast Tomato & Bacon
- 4 small tomatoes, preferably Romas
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut each tomato in half lengthwise.
- Place on a roasting tray, cut side up.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1/2 cup red capsicum, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions, sliced
- 1/4 coriander & parsley (I used all parsley)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup rocket
- 4 rasher bacon, grilled
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and paprika into a medium bowl. Add the sugar, stir to combine, and make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk until combined.
- Gradually add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until a smooth, stiff batter forms.
- In a large bowl, place the corn, capsicum, green onions and herbs. Add the batter and combine.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add 2 tbsp of batter for each fritter. Fry for 2 minutes or until the underside of each fritter is golden. Turn the fritters over and cook until the other side is golden.
- Transfer to another plate and keep warm while cooking the remaining fritters.
- Serve two fritters per person with rocket, bacon and tomatoes