Wednesday 4 May 2011

Sweetcorn Fritters with Roast Tomato & Bacon

It is hard to believe that it is Wednesday already. I have already been on holidays for 3 days. Oh, how blissful it is. I really haven't been doing much, I guess that is fine though. I had planned on having a picnic lunch yesterday. I had an appointment to get my hair cut and thought that as long as I was out I could take my kindle and grab some lunch and go to one of the many parks in town and just kick back. However the day was cold and cloudy. So not good picnic weather. Today would have been much better for that but I had other things to do today. If tomorrow is looking nice I think I will do it then. 

I made this recipe several weeks ago now. This was one of the things that I made when I was struggling so badly. When things go a bit crazy for me some times it is the little things that I focus on. One of those things is cooking. I find that while I can barely function at work or in the home I can normally produce some pretty amazing food (even if I do say so myself). I also tend to really focus on good food too rather than junky food or fat laden cakes and desserts as it helps to lift me out of the depths. Although I will admit that when deep, deep down in depression I will crave Mac & Cheese. Not just any mac & cheese though. Homemade with a thick sauce flavoured with finely diced onion & bacon and 3 or 4 different types of cheese and a hint of hot mustard. It is as much about the process of making it as the actual eating that helps me. 

I was really impressed with these fritters for breakfast. I would definitely make them again. Although would probably try using well-drained tinned corn next time to see if it works. Not that I really mind removing the kernels from cobs but it can be a bit messy, time consuming and means that these would be a seasonal thing. I didn't have any roma tomatoes but did have some small grape tomatoes so roasted them instead. I just added extra parsley in place of the coriander. I made half the recipe and got 4 nice sized fritters from it. 

Sweetcorn Fritters with Roast Tomato & Bacon

Tomatoes:

  • 4 small tomatoes, preferably Romas
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
Method:
  • Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 
  • Cut each tomato in half lengthwise. 
  • Place on a roasting tray, cut side up. 
  • Drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes.
Corn Fritters:  

  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup red capsicum, cut into small dice
  • 1/2 cup sliced green onions, sliced 
  • 1/4 coriander & parsley (I used all parsley)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup rocket
  •  4 rasher bacon, grilled 
Method: 
  • Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and paprika into a medium bowl. Add the sugar, stir to combine, and make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. 
  • In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk until combined. 
  • Gradually add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until a smooth, stiff batter forms. 
  • In a large bowl, place the corn, capsicum, green onions and herbs. Add the batter and combine.
  • In a large nonstick frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add 2 tbsp of batter for each fritter. Fry for 2 minutes or until the underside of each fritter is golden. Turn the fritters over and cook until the other side is golden. 
  • Transfer to another plate and keep warm while cooking the remaining fritters.
  • Serve two fritters per person with rocket, bacon and tomatoes 

3 comments:

  1. An absolute gorgeous photo of this meal.Your photography skills have come along in leaps & bounds,Katren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I still seem to be a bit hit and miss but it is getting better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, colourful photo!

    ReplyDelete