Sunday 29 January 2012

January 2012 - Pork skewers with peanut noodle salad

Wow, it is nearly the end of the month already. It seems to have both flown by but dragged at the same time. I have a new accounting system to learn at work which has been keeping me busy. So I have been doing easy meals this month.

As usual this is a double issue so I had already made something for it for December. In previous years the December/January issues have been filled with Christmas recipes but this year there was a nice variety of other recipes. I did just realise though that both the recipe I made for December and the one for January were from the same feature by David Morgan. A variety of different menus. December was Moroccan, for January I went with the Vietnamese. These were both very good recipes. I particularly enjoyed the pork skewers. They were supposed to be barbecued but since I don't have a gas bottle for my barbecue I just grilled them instead. It was also a very thrifty meal since I had everything to make it in the house including pork fillet in the freezer. 

Pork Skewers 
Ingredients: 
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1/4 red onion, very finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce 
  • zest & juice of 1/2 lime
  • 1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar 
  • 1 red chilli, seeds removed and finely sliced 
  • 500 g pork fillets, sliced into 3 cm pieces. 
Method: 
  • Combine everything in a non-reactive dish and leave to marinate for at least 1 hour. 
  • Remove pork from marinade and thread onto skewers. 
  • Cook under grill for 3 - 5 minutes each side or until cooked. 
Peanut Noodle Salad

Ingredients:
  • 100 g dried thin rice stick noodles
  • 1/2 cucumber, roughly chopped 
  • 100 g snow peas, sliced
  • 1/4 red capsicum, sliced 
  • Handful mint and parsley leaves, chopped 
  • 50 g peanuts, roughly chopped (I used cashews) 
  • zest & juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tsp soy sauce 
  • 1 tsp brown sugar or palm sugar 
  • 2 tsp olive oil 
  • 2 drops sesame oil
Method: 
  • Soak rice noodles in boiling water until soft. Drain. 
  • Add cucumber, snow peas, capsicum, herbs and nuts. Toss to combine. 
  • In a small dish combine zest, juice, soy, sugar and oils and mix well. Add to salad and toss to combine. 

1 comment:

  1. Yum! That looks fantastic and easy too, am going to put it on our dinner menu in the near future :)

    ReplyDelete