Monday 21 January 2013

January 2013 - Posh cheeseburgers

Like every year this delicious magazine is a double issue for December and January so you get the pleasure of another recipe from this delightful issue. 

I have been back and forward through this issue so many time trying to decided what to make for January. I have decided and changed my mind so many times. 

The first recipe that caught my eye when looking through this issue was the jellied ham. It just looked perfect, nice and Christmasy. Finely chopped ham, cornichons and capers in jelly made from gelatine leaves and chicken stock. I really wanted to make it but I don't have any home made chicken stock in the freezer at the moment. I should have made some while I was off work during the Christmas/new year period. I will keep the recipe noted for when I next make stock. 

The next recipe I really wanted to make was the sweet & spicy duck with pineapple chutney. If you have been reading my blog for a while you may have noticed that I always seem to pick out duck recipes as ones I would like to try. I know full well that I will not get a chance as I cannot get duck here. Well, I can, but only frozen whole ducks and all I really want are duck breasts. The only time I did see them here was in one of the supermarkets and one of the trays contained very obviously off meat. I had a hard time convincing the meat department person that it was off so I decided that I wouldn't buy any of their other duck or, in fact, any meat there at all. Besides I have my excellent butcher to buy meat from. As per usual the duck recipe is a pipe dream. However I might make the pineapple chutney at some stage. 

The other recipe that I really, really wanted to make and will make soon is the Lamb meatballs with barberries, yoghurt and herbs. I bought barberries some time ago for some reason that I cannot remember now. I will make this so that I can use them. 

In the end I decided to make the posh cheeseburger. The recipe used eye fillet, I didn't have any but did have a thick cut porterhouse. Next time though I would use scotch fillet as I much prefer that cut. I marinated the steak overnight rather than just for an hour. I made the slow roasted tomatoes but I guess the romas that I bought weren't all that good as they took a lot longer to cook and were a bit 'meh' taste wise. Instead of onion jam put some of my home made chilli sauce on and used some of the cheese I got on my recent foodie trip instead of bocconcini. I really enjoyed it. I could have added some more chilli, garlic and thyme to the meat marinade. It was good but would have love a bit more of a flavour hit. I would probably use either roasted cherry tomatoes or bought semi-dried tomatoes next time.

Posh Cheeseburgers

2 cloves garlic, crushed 
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tsp thyme leaves 
2 tbsp olive oil
400 g porterhouse or scotch fillet
4 crusty bread rolls, toasted
Sweet chilli sauce, rocket, semi-dried or roasted tomatoes, bocconcini, aioli and shaved parmesan, to serve

Combine garlic, chilli and thyme in a bowl and mix well. Add steak and turn to coat. Marinade at least an hour or preferably overnight.
Pre-heat oven to 200 C. 
Heat a frypan over high heat. Sear beef until just browned on each side and then place in the oven for 10 - 12 minutes. Remove and rest for at least 10 minutes. 
Spread each roll with aioli top with rocket, tomato, top with finely sliced pieces of steak and then add cheeses and drizzle with sweet chilli sauce. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Katren, I know how you feel trying to source ingredients, I've been lucky that I've been able to source a lot more things these days that you would not find in my corner of town a few years ago. Good luck with the duck hunting :) I love a good burger recipe - this one looks good for sure! I made some great burgers mincing chuck steak and scotch fillet in my food processor, they are the best I've ever made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sylvia, yes it is getting easier to find some ingredients. Plus there is such a huge range online these days. Unfortunately I just can't buy meat online being in a regional area.

    ReplyDelete