Monday 1 July 2013

Smoky Beef Chilli Con Carne

For Sylvia, hope that you enjoy this. 

Smoky Beef Chilli Con Carne 
by Katie Quinn
from Delicious magazine June 2013

2 large dried ancho chillies 
1 kg beef chuck steak, cut into 3 cm pieces 
2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned 
2 tbsp olive oil (I would use grapeseed)
1 onion, finely chopped 
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped 
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp smoked paprika 
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 
2 chipotle chillies in abodo sauce, chopped, 1 tbsp sauce reserved 
1/3 c bourbon
1 bay leaf 
1 L (4 c) beef stock 
2 red capsicums, seeds removed and chopped 
2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes 
2 tbsp tomato paste 
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cocoa powder
425 g can black beans, rinsed and drained
425 g can red kidney beads, rinsed and drained 
Steamed rice, sour cream, grated cheese and flat leaf parsley, to serve. 

Cover ancho with boiling water and leave for 30 min, drain remove seeds and slice finely. 

Coat beef with flour and brown using 1 tbsp oil in batches, remove and set aside. 

In remaining oil cook onion and garlic until soft, add cumin, paprika, oregano, cinnamon and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Return beef to the pan. 

Add all the remaining ingredients except for the beans. Bring to boil then simmer, with lid ajar for 2.5 hours. Add beans and simmer for a further 30 min or until thickened. Season as required and serve. 

A long list of ingredients for what is actually a fairly easy recipe. I hope to get it made one day.

5 comments:

  1. Thankyou so much! I do like the idea of the cinnamon too, if I get to it before you I'll report back on the results :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog when I googled this recipe's name after my daughter cooked it for us on the weekend of her engagement. She must have whipped it together in less than half an hour. It was absolutely delicious and was a perfect fix after a few celebration drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, glad to hear that it was good and easy to put together.

      Delete
  3. Hi Kat, another belated thank you for this recipe, finally got around to making it recently, I added extra beef so as to have an extra lot for the freezer and it worked beautifully, the meat was very tender. I decided to blitz the soaked ancho and chipotle chillis together in a mini food processor to make a nice chilli paste which I added to the sauce and that worked out really well. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know Sylvia. Oh, and thank you for bringing it back to my attention. I had forgotten about it. ;)

      Delete