Sunday 31 October 2010

October 2010 - Harissa chicken wings with preserved lemon marmalade

It is hard to believe that it is the end of October already. This year seems to be just flying by. I will admit to being really tired tonight and my foot is hurting so I just want to get this final post for the month done and head off to bed. 

The cover recipe, Asparagus and goat's cheese tarts look fantastic but I was more taken with Jill Dupleix's Harissa Chicken wings with preserved lemon marmalade. I do have a jar of preserved lemon that I haven't gotten around to using and thought that this would be a good recipe to use it in. I also have a jar of beautiful harissa paste that I have been using as much as possible because it is just so good. I ended up making the chicken wings as it was so easy but I didn't make the marmalade to go with it. This was mainly because I was avoiding doing too much early on with my injury. The wings were really good and I will do them again and next time to the marmalade sauce. I served with spicy potato & sweet potato and steamed zucchini. 

Harissa chicken wings with preserved lemon marmalade

Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp harissa (Tunisian chilli paste)
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced 
  • 12 chicken wings, tips removed (I used wings that had been jointed)
  • 6 preserved lemon quarters, flesh and pith discarded, rind cut into thin strips
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar 
  • 2 tbsp orange marmalade 
  • 1/2 cup each coriander, basil and flat-leaf parsley leaves 
  • 2 tbsp roughly chopped dill 
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Method: 
  • Mix oil, juice, harissa, garlic and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Add chicken wings and turn to coat, then marinate in the fridge for 10 - 15 minutes (I left mine overnight). 
  • Place lemon rind, sugar, marmalade and 100 ml water in a pan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until a jam-like consistence. Cool. 
  • Pre-heat oven to 180 C, spread wings out on a baking tray and bake in oven for 20 minutes. (Jill used a char-grill pan on the stove but I prefer to bake chicken wings.) 
  • Meanwhile, to make a herb salad, toss the herbs and olive oil together in a bowl. 
  • Place chicken on a platter and scatter with salad. Serve with the marmalade. 

No comments:

Post a Comment