Thursday 7 April 2011

Blackberry Crumble

Hmmm, two posts in two days. Nothing like jumping straight back in. I have a few things up my sleeves that I have made recently but then I am really going to have to get back into cooking from Sydney Food. Lately, I have been cooking some rather slack things like toasted sandwiches but there are some good things that I will post eventually.

I had a lovely day off work yesterday. Had the day in a nearby town. I had an appointment to go to so spent the day over there. Bought some new running shoes, which I actually got properly fitted for and they feel so much better. I also got a lovely red lightweight blanket for my bed. It is starting to get to that time of year where it is getting cooler but it is not even close to cold enough for my heavy wool blanket or  the even warmer deepest winter weight wool quilt that is all snuggly and warm but only gets used for about 2 - 3 months a year. It is nice to have a blanket that I can use with my bedspread during those in between times. When I got home I headed off to a friend's place for dinner. I just love it when someone else cooks for me. As much as I love cooking sometimes it is just nice not to have to do anything and to be fed good food. Unfortunately, it was back to the grindstone today though.

I made Bill's Individual Blackberry Crumbles one night for dessert not too long ago. I used frozen blackberries so it needed longer to cook. I didn't have an individual dishes large enough so I ended up doing the recipe in one dish which also contributed to the need for extra cooking time. It was nice but I thought that there was way too much crumble. I think that half the amount would have been plenty. My crumbles usually consist of a lot more oats and way less flour. This was fine but I think I would stick with my way next time. 

Blackberry Crumble 

Ingredients: 
  • 3 cups blackberries 
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar 
  • 1 cup plain flour + 1 tbsp
  • 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar 
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 3 tbsp quick-cooking oats 
  • 100 g unsalted butter, cut in small pieces 
Method: 
  • Pre-heat oven to 200 C. 
  • Place blackberries, caster sugar and the tbsp of flour in a bowl and toss to coat the berries. 
  • Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and oats. Rub in butter until it resembles crumbs. 
  • Divided berries between two ovenproof bowls and top with crumble mixture. 
  • Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until golden & bubbling. 
  • Serve with ice cream. 


2 comments:

  1. Yum. Blackberries are my favorite berry. This sounds great. I wish blackberries were in season but alas, very soon. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good it's actually making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete