I love all the different breakfast recipes that are in Bills Sydney Food and I really cannot wait to make those that I haven't already done. There are only two recipes in the breakfast section that I worry about making. The first is the Jam Doughnuts. I am not particularly worried about the yeasted dough more the deep frying part of it. I don't have a deep fryer and I don't really deep fry anything. The second recipe that I have been worried about is this one.
I think that I have expressed my concern about making poached eggs having never been successful at it before. I am not sure if it was just a fluke or just that Bill's instructions really resonated or that the eggs were fresher than ones I had used before but this time it just worked perfectly. I was so pleased with the results, although I haven't tried them again yet so I am not sure if it was just a fluke. I will definitely try though. I really enjoyed the combination with the spinach as well too. This was definitely my idea of a perfect breakfast.
Poached Eggs with Wilted Baby Spinach
- 2 eggs
- 10 g butter
- 200 g baby spinach
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- salt & pepper
- 2 thick slices of toast, to serve
- Fill a pan, I used my saute pan, with 5 cm of water and bring to the boil.
- Immediately remove from the heat and add the eggs, cracking just above the surface of the water and letting the egg slide into the water.
- Cover with a lid and leave for 3 - 5 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan and saute spinach. Add lemon juice, garlic and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Place spinach on toast and remove eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and place on top of spinach.
- Top with a grind of black pepper just before serving.