Bill's ricotta hotcake recipe.
Bill Granger's Lemon Soufflé Cakes
- 3/4 c buttermilk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 25g unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 c plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- Combine buttermilk, egg yolks, lemon juice, zest and vanilla essence then add melted butter and mix well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Make a well in the centre and gradually whisk in the wet ingredients until they are just combined.
- Whip the egg whites to soft peaks then fold them into the buttermilk mixture using a large metal spoon.
- Melt a small amount of butter in a fry pan over a medium heat. Add a couple spoons full of batter and cook until golden brown on the bottom, flip the cake over and cook until golden brown on both sides. Keep warm while cooking the rest.
- Serve with halved strawberries tossed in a little honey.