Monday 19 March 2012

Spiced chicken wraps with carrot & pomegranate salad

Early last year I made Jamie Oliver's Mechoui Lamb for dinner. I have made it quite a few times over the past year now. Although I have tweaked it quite and bit and it really no longer resembles the original recipe much. I have made it for a number of people and everyone who I have made it for enjoys it immensely. I also love that I usually end up with some great leftovers for sandwiches or wraps during the following week. In fact the last time I made it I ended up freezing some of the left over meat so that I could use it at a later date. 

One night I had a couple of chicken thigh fillets to use up so I decided to use a similar mix that I had been using on the lamb and roast it in the oven. I then chopped it up and served on a wrap with a carrot & pomegranate salad. It was just excellent. So full of flavour.  I wished that I had leftovers so that I could have some for lunch the next day. 

Spiced chicken wraps

Serves 1

2 chicken thighs
pinch salt 
1 tsp thyme leaves
2 tsp butter 
1/2 tsp ground coriander 
1/2 tsp ground cumin seeds 
1 tsp harissa (or to taste)
1 garlic & herb wrap (or whatever kind you like) 
1 tbsp greek-style yoghurt 
1 tsp harissa, extra 

Pre-heat oven to 160 C. 
Place salt and thyme leave in a mortar and bash with pestle until thyme is starting to break down. Add coriander, cumin, butter and harissa and mix until well combined. Rub the butter mixture over the chicken thighs and place in a baking dish. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes or until starting to brown. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 - 15 minutes. Slice into bite size pieces. Pile meat on torn wrap and top with combined yoghurt & extra harissa and serve with carrot & pomegranate salad. 

Carrot & pomegranate salad

1 carrot, julienned 
1 spring (green) onion, finely sliced 
Seeds of 1/4 pomegranate 
handful parsley, finely chopped 
rocket, to serve 
1 tsp pomegranate juice 
2 tsp lemon olive oil 

Combine carrot, onion, pomegranate seeds and parsley. 
Mix pomegranate juice and oil to form dressing. Add dressing to salad and toss well to combine. 
Serve on a bed of rocket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment