Sunday 17 January 2010

January 2002 - Fruit Mince Muffins


As I said in my first post delicious. magazine launched in November 2001 and since I am using each month's previous magazines I will have to start with issue 2 which was for Jan/Feb 2002.

After having a through look through the magazine there seemed to be an extraordinary amount of seafood recipes in it. I am not a huge fan of seafood. I think part of it is because my mother did not like seafood at all and the other part is that since I live in a inland rural area it is difficult to get good fresh seafood that is not outrageously priced. I did manage to find a few recipes that piqued my interest along with one that I had made before but had forgotten about.


Valli Little's Fruit Mince Muffins on page 53 are a great way to use up the last of the fruit mince from Christmas. It is a great recipe that produces a soft, moist muffin which is great for breakfast. I decided to go with this recipe as I made my own fruit mince in October last year but I never got around to making any fruit mince tarts for Christmas so I have a very large jar of it in the fridge to use up. I think I will definitely be making several batches of these muffins.

Fruit Mince Muffins

Ingredients

  • 300g plain flour
  • 75g brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
  • 250g fruit mince
  • 300ml buttermilk
  • 75ml milk
  • 4 tbs vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • Icing sugar, to dust

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease or line the muffin pans.
  2. Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate soda and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Add the cinnamon, pecans and fruit mince and stir to combine.
  3. In a separate jug, mix together the buttermilk, milk, oil and egg. Fold into the dry ingredients until just combined.
  4. Fill the greased muffin pans with the mixture and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Set aside to cool slightly. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
The recipes says that it makes 6 however they must be huge as I made 19 and they are wonderful. If you find yourself with some leftover fruit mince I would definitely recommend giving them a try.







2 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a blog! I've just been exploring, and am going to be back for sure. You've got TONS of material to be working on, and it's interesting to see what was trendy in food 9 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey i love what you're doing with the delicious mags

    i should do something similar.. i have STACKS of donna hay mags!

    ReplyDelete