Saturday 30 January 2010

January 2009 - Chorizo-stuffed Chicken with Couscous

So onto the penultimate magazine for January. I have so enjoyed not only the discovery of some great new recipes that I had previously overlooked but reading through the magazines. I have read a lot of articles that I have either forgotten or just didn't get around to reading the first time. Once you really sit down with delicious. there is a lot of reading in it.

Issue 78 again presented a large number of choices although in reality there was really no option but to make Tobie Puttock's Chorizo-stuffed Chicken with couscous. I don't often do a roast for just me as most of the time I find that small roasting pieces are not as nice as larger roasting pieces. I also find that smaller chickens can be a bit dry. At least this has been my experience, perhaps though I have a tendency to over-cook, sometimes it is hard to remember that while it is a roast it is smaller and will take less time to cook. I believe that the slices of chorizo help to keep the breast (my favoured part) from drying out and impart a subtle flavour into the meat. I didn't have the best quality chorizo unfortunately but it was still a decent one. I would recommend using the best that you can get though as I think that it would impart more flavour. I ended up making some gravy from the pan drippings. The chorizo flavour in that was magnificent.

Chorizo-stuffed Chicken with Couscous

Serves 2

Ingredients
  • Small (1.2 kg) free-range chicken (mine was 1.3 kg)
  • 1 chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 onion
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 6 thyme sprigs
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Creme fraiche, to serve (optional) (I didn't use it)
Couscous
  • 3/4 cup (150g) couscous
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3/4 cup (185 ml) boiling chicken stock
  • 1/2 onion finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove crushed
  • 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 tbsp sultanas (I didn't use)
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 180 C.
  • Gently work your fingers between chicken skin and breast, being careful not to tear. Carefully stuff chorizo under skin in 1 layer (you may not need all the chorizo). Place onion, garlic, lemon and thyme in cavity. Tie legs with string, rub with oil and season.
  • Place on a rack in a roasting plan. Roast 50 minutes to 1 hour, basting occasionally, until cooked through - juices will run clear when thigh is pierced. (Cover with foil if over-browning.)
  • Remove string and carefully turn bird upside-down on a board (to keep breast from drying out). Rest 5 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, mix couscous and oil in a bowl with hot stock. Cover and stand for 5 minutes, then fluff grains with a fork, stir in remaining ingredients and season. (I am not keen on raw onion and garlic so cooked them before adding.)
  • Carve chicken, drizzle with pan juices and creme fraiche if using, garnish with extra parsley and serve with couscous.


Chorizo stuffed chicken with couscous

1 comment:

  1. Wow:) That chicken is really eye catching isn't it:) Very appealing:D

    ReplyDelete