Wednesday 16 February 2011

Jamie Oliver's Mechoui Lamb & Moorish Crunch Salad

Well, that post scheduling works well. I will have to keep that in mind for when I get the urge to do some posts and I can do a couple at a time. I have quite a few things that I have made from Bill's Sydney Food that I haven't blogged about yet and I really should get those cleared so that I can start posting as I make things again. Although I suppose I could just post the older ones in between new stuff. 

I promised myself that I would at least get one new post done today. Yesterday I woke up with a rash on my face and feeling like I had been hit by a truck. I went to the doctor and was prescribed some heavy duty antibiotics as the doctor thinks it is an "infection", no idea what kind or why. I ended up coming home from work early yesterday as I was feeling so awful. I normally have Wednesdays off work so today is okay. I was feeling okay this morning as I got up and got my nails done and did a couple of other things however I have crashed since lunch time. I had a nap but not sure that it really helped. Perhaps I should have turned the air conditioning on before I laid down on the lounge as I woke up all hot and achy.
At the same time as cooking every single recipe from Bill's Sydney Food. I have also been trying to use more of the rest of my cookbook collection. I have a large number of them that just seem to sit there and look pretty. I had purchased Jamie Does... after watching a couple of episodes of the show and was pushed over the edge by the recipe for the Sexy Swedish Buns (which everyone should make by the way). There were also a couple of other recipes from the show that caught my attention. I was particularly taken with the episode that he did in Morocco. The lovely combinations of spices. His enthusiasm in the markets and showing us all about it. His excitement at actually making the recipes. Now, of course, there are going to be ingredients that I cannot get. Although for his Mechoui Lamb the only thing that I was unable to get was the smen which I understand is some kind of fermented butter. This dish was so lovely. When I went to purchase a shoulder of lamb my butcher asked what I was making. When I told him he suggested trying it with a boned out leg next time. I think I will give that a try, although it will be more expensive, it will be less fatty and less wastage. The only thing that I would then have to watch for is that it doesn't dry out. All the fat on the shoulder would have contributed to keeping the meat as moist as it was. It also would have helped with the way that the meat just fell apart after cooking. However I think that I lost some of the spice flavour with it being removed from the meat with the large amount of fat before serving. It was still amazing though and made some incredible lunches over the week afterwards with some more in the freezer for use at a later date. Definitely a nice change from a traditional roast dinner on a Sunday night.

I wanted to make something a bit more substantial than the carrot and orange salad to go with it so went with Jamie Oliver's Moorish Crunch Salad which I had made previously. It went perfectly with the lamb and was also excellent inside wraps and pitas for lunches. In fact I have made this salad a couple of times since I first made it in November last year. It really is a great side. 

1 comment: