Sunday 6 March 2011

Baked Peaches with Vanilla Ice Cream & Caramel Sauce

It is late but I have a headache and ear ache tonight and I just can't sleep so thought I would get another post done. It is hard to believe that it is already March. It really does seem like this year is flying by. I am not sure why as I really haven't been that busy.

There are two things that I have become concerned about with making all of the recipes in Bills Sydney Food. The first is the amount of sweet/dessert recipes there are. There are quite a few sweet breakfasts as well as desserts for both lunch and dinner. I do like dessert but I really don't eat it that often and I am starting to wonder about making all of them before the end of the year. I guess that I will just have to see how I go. The second concern is the amount of seafood recipes in the book and the availability of said seafood to make these dishes. I have said before that I am not overly keen on seafood but I do want to add more of it to my diet. The main problem though is the access. Although I did find out recently that you can order whole fish through one of the local butchers. I may have to try that with a couple of the recipes that use whole fish. I will have to invite people when I do that though as I will definitely need more than one person to eat a whole fish. 

This was a really quick little dessert to make. The sauce wasn't as easy as I first thought that it was going to be but it did work out in the end, I cooled the sugar syrup too much and it hardened when I added the cream. I had to gently reheat it to get it all to melt again but it did eventually work. I really liked the peaches and would definitely do them again but probably would worry about the caramel sauce. 

Baked Peaches with Vanilla Ice Cream & Caramel Sauce

Ingredients 
  • 4 peaches, halved and stoned 
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar 
Pre-heat oven to 220 C. 
Sprinkle cut side of peaches with sugar and bake for 15 minutes or until soft. 
Cool slightly. 

Caramel sauce
  • 3/4 c sugar 
  • 1/4 c water
  • 3/4 c cream
  • 1 tsp lemon juice 
Combine sugar and water in a saucepan over a low heat stirring until sugar has dissolved. 
Bring to a boil and cook, without stirring, until it turns a golden colour. 
Place bottom of saucepan in a sink of cold water to stop the cooking (I don't think I would do this next time). 
Once slightly cooled add cream carefully. When it stops foaming up add lemon juice and stir until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment