Tuesday 12 July 2011

Semolina Porridge with Caramelised Balsamic Blueberries

Is there something that you used to make all the time but when you think about it you realise it has been forever since you made it. This is, sort of, one of those things. I used to make semolina porridge for breakfast all the time. I used to eat it with a variety of different fruits or even just with some brown sugar and milk like regular porridge. I have always really loved it. However, I realised that I hadn't made it in such a long time when I was in the supermarket to buy some polenta and next to that were the bags of semolina. I decided that I just couldn't leave it on the shelf and I have been eating semolina porridge just about every morning since. I am very pleased to have rediscovered this wonderfully warming and satisfying winter breakfast. 

Semolina on its own doesn't have a lot of flavour so it is all about what you have with it. I have had a number of different things with it recently, banana, some canned mango diced up, sautéed apple but I think that the best that I have come up with so far was the caramelised balsamic blueberries. They were very, very good and I was so pleased with the flavour. I think it would be just as good with regular porridge or as a topping for waffles or pancakes. 
Semolina Porridge

Ingredients: 
  • 1 1/4 c milk 
  • 25 g semolina 
Method: 
  • Place milk in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat. 
  • Just before it boils drizzle in the semolina whisking continuous. 
  • Allow to cook stirring regularly until it thickens. 
  • Serve immediately with extra milk, fruit and syrup (if wanted). 
Caramelised Balsamic Blueberries
Ingredients: 
  • 1 punnet blueberries (mine were frozen) 
  • 1 tbsp caster sugar
  • drizzle caramelised raspberry balsamic vinegar
Method: 
  • Place blueberries in a saucepan over a medium-low heat with caster sugar. 
  • Allow to cook stirring occasionally until they are thawed and you can squash some of them. 
  • Drizzle in vinegar to taste and then let cook until thickened. 

5 comments:

  1. I've only really used it as a savoury dish, to plump up meatballs, make soup or even a 'mash', I DO think I need to explore this option;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, yes, semolina is lovely.

    Coby, I don't think I have ever really used it that way. I have used it in pizza/bread doughs though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kat,I used to have this all the time as a kid(not with the berries of course)But I grew up thinking this was porridge!!!Not the usual rolled oats.i still love it though_can still remember the plates mum used to serve it in.

    kylie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of semolina as porridge for breakfast - I've only ever had it as a dessert - either chocolate or plain sweetened with a big dollop of jam in the middle of it. It's so long since I've had semolina!

    Those blueberries look gorgeous too, I find that heating them up always helps to bring out their flavour too.

    ReplyDelete