Monday 18 July 2011

Blueberry Butter Cake

Sigh...it is late and I have a full day at work tomorrow and here I am doing a blog post. I had gotten a couple of good nights sleep and, of course, now I am here wide awake at midnight when I really need to be sleeping. Oh well I guess it gives me a chance to get another post done. 

I am also sitting here watching old episodes of my favourite show Spicks & Specks, which is kind of a music quiz show. It is finished up at the end of this year and I am going to miss it terribly. I have a number of dvds full of episodes that I have recorded over the years so they should at least keep me happy for a while. 

I made this lovely cake of Bill's last weekend. It was a really nice little cake. I didn't want a full 23 cm cake so I halved the recipe and cooked it in an 18 cm pan. However that pan was still a bit small. I would like to try it again but I would divide the recipe by 3 and try it again. I do know that the reason my blueberries sank is that the tin was too small and the mixture almost rolled over in the tin. I thought for a while that it was going to actually go over the side of the tin, thankfully it didn't. The cake part of it was so nice. Lovely and smooth and dense. It is a perfect dessert cake. I am also looking forward to making it with fresh rather than frozen blueberries. 

Blueberry Butter Cake

For the Topping:
  • 1 c brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 1/4 c plain flour
  • 75g unsalted butter, cold
Method:
  • Place brown sugar and flour in a bowl, add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside
For the Cake:
  • 2 c plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 125g unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 c caster sugar
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 c sour cream
  • 2 c blueberries
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 180 C.
  • Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. 
  • Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs beating well to incorporated. 
  • Add the dry ingredients, alternating with sour cream, mixing well after each addition.
  • Pour the cake batter into a greased 23 cm spring form cake tin. Sprinkle with blueberries and topping mixture.
  • Bake the cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. 
  • Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, top side up.

2 comments:

  1. I heard if you toss the blueberries in flour then add them they dont sink. I dont know if it works though, I have not tried it. This looks wonderful, I love blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ellie. I did consider tossing in flour but I don't think it would have made a difference. At one stage the mixture was rolling around in the pan, like it was boiling, it was really strange. I have never seen a cake mixture do that before. Still tasted good though!

    ReplyDelete