Monday 12 September 2011

Pumpkin Leek & Chorizo Risotto

So encouraged by a friend I have started on a bit of an exercise kick. Today was the beginning of week three of swimming four days a week (actually considering going to 5 days). I am now up to swimming 30 x 25 metre laps. Today it took me about 40 minutes. I have to admit that I am really enjoying it and am pleased to have been pushed into it. I have also managed to lose some weight. Since the start of this year I have lost a total of 5.5 kg. Not a huge amount but it is certainly a start. Losing is definitely better than gaining or even just staying still. I hope that with the swimming that the weight will come off quickly to start with. 

Now, I know that risotto isn't exactly diet food, however I did make this quite some time ago plus it is absolutely to die for (oh and I don't really do diet food... lol). I just love pumpkin risotto so much. In fact I really am a fan of almost any kind of risotto. I like to make my pumpkin risotto with raw pumpkin that has been fairly finely diced and let it cook in the stock as the rice cooks. Some of the smaller pieces start to disintegrate and provide a lovely orange colour while the bigger pieces stay whole and add a different texture even when fully cooked. For this one I had a leek in the fridge that needed using up so used that in place of onion and I also had some chorizo so finely diced it and fried until nicely coloured. I don't normally add the chorizo to this but it was so, so good in it and I will definitely add it in again. 

Pumpkin, leek & chorizo risotto

Ingredients: 
  • 1 chorizo, finely chopped
  • 1 leek, halved & finely sliced
  • Wedge pumpkin, finely diced (I am not sure how big it was, there was probably 1.5 cups of diced pumpkin)
  • 1 c arborio rice
  • 1/2 c white wine (or extra stock)
  • 3 - 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
  • grated parmesan (about a cup maybe)
  • rocket, to serve
Method:
  • Heat saucepan (I used my swiss diamond sauté pan) over a medium heat. 
  •  Place chorizo in and let cook. Remove from pan leaving as much oil in the pan as possible. 
  • Add leek and cook until soft. Add rice and stir for a minute. Add pumpkin and stir.
  • Add wine and cook, stirring, until it is absorbed. 
  • Add stock slowly, stirring after each addition until absorbed, continue adding stock until rice and pumpkin are cooked. 
  • Add parmesan and stir. Season if necessary. 
  • Serve on a bed of rocket.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an utterly amazing combo - sweet pumpkin and spicy chorizo. It's a lovely colour too and I like the idea of serving it on a bed of rocket. Yum, I can just imagine how delicious this was!

    Congrats on the weight loss - it sounds as though you're doing it a good way, with healthy exercise and eating.

    ReplyDelete