Sunday 20 November 2011

Pumpkin Pie with Vegan Pumpkin Ice Cream

I have spoken of my love of pies before. I know that this all stems from my gramma. She was the best pie maker ever. Plus she grew all of her own fruit so in the summer time it was one glorious pie after another with fresh just of the tree (or bush) fruit. My gramma would also preserve or freeze her fruit as well so that we could have her glorious pies (and other desserts) all year round. 

This pie however, I remember more from Mum. It is Mum's recipe that I have. I always remember begging Mum as a kid to make pumpkin pie but it didn't very often get made so I like to make it a couple of times a year now just to savour it. If you don't tell people that there is pumpkin in it then they would never realise. It is just such a fabulous recipe, lovely and spiced with just the right amount of sweetness. This time around instead of one big pie I made some individual sized tarts so now I have a bunch of those in the freezer for any time I am feeling like it and I didn't have to eat a whole pie myself. LOL.

This time I also made a vegan pumpkin ice cream to serve with it which I found over on Tasty Yummies. I was intrigued by a vegan ice cream and was very impressed with it. I couldn't find almond milk so used oat milk and I used brown sugar as that was all I had. I really liked it a lot and it went perfectly with the pumpkin pie. It has also piqued my interest in exploring more vegan ice cream recipes. 

Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 c brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp salt 
  • 2 eggs 
  • 1 1/2 c cooked mashed pumpkin, well drained (roasted and then mashed is best)
  • 1 can evaporated milk
Method: 
  • Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg, ginger & salt. 
  • Add eggs, pumpkin & cream and mix well. 
  • Pour into an uncooked pastry shell. 
  • Bake at 210 C for 15 minutes. 
  • Reduce heat to 180 C for 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.

For my pastry I use my Gramma's recipe it is the best pastry in the world:

Gramma's Pastry
(for one single crust pie)

Ingredients: 
  • 1 1/2 c plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c butter (gramma used lard)
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar 
  • 1 small egg 
  • water
Method:
  • Combine flour and salt. 
  • Cut in butter using a pastry blender.
  • Place egg in a 1 cup measure and lightly beat, add vinegar and top up with water to 1/2 cup. 
  • Add to flour mixture and little at a time until you have a soft pastry (you probably will not need all the liquid). 

No comments:

Post a Comment