Wednesday 7 November 2012

Sticky char siu spare ribs

Almost a year about I filled my freezer with bulk meat purchased from my local butcher. I have used the majority of it but there is still a few things left. It really should have been used up long ago, meat doesn't last forever in the freezer but I will just continue my way through. It is not like it is going to hurt me it just tends to get a bit freezer burnt and not tip top any more. As part of my purchase I bought pork spare ribs, which here in Australia is pork belly sliced into "chops" rather than what we call the American-style spare ribs. It really would be easier if we could all have the same name for things. Anyway, I have several different ways to make them. Most of which are ways that my mum cooked them. 

Anyway, I found this recipe for Sticky Char Siu Spare Ribs and thought that it would be nice to try something different. I ended up putting some ginger and chilli in, although I didn't put in nearly enough chilli as there really wasn't any kick to it. I baked them as per the recipe but they really weren't "sticky" so I put them under the grill for about 10 minutes and they came out perfectly. I served with rice and steamed broccolini and asparagus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment