Thursday 21 March 2013

Beetroot Tarte Tatin

Beetroot again, I have told you numerous times how much I love beetroot. I have only made a few tarte tatins before but each time they have been very good. I ended up using extra beetroot and a larger frying pan than the recipe called for but didn't increase the glaze/sauce ingredients. It will worked well but I think it would have been better if I had increased those ingredients as well. I loved the combination of sweet with the earthiness of beetroot is just an amazing combination. Served with a very basic salad it was a fantastic vegetarian meal. 

Beetroot Tarte Tatin

15g butter
8 small beetroot, peeled, halved
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 sheet frozen butter puff pastry, thawed
50g goat's cheese, crumbled (I used feta)
 
Preheat oven to 200C. Melt butter in a ovenproof non-stick 19cm (base measurement) frying pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the beetroot for 2 minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar and thyme. Season. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes or until beetroot is just tender. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool. Increase oven to 220C.

Trim pastry into a 24cm disc. Arrange beetroot evenly over base of pan. Top with pastry. Fold in excess. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn onto a plate. Top with goat's cheese.




No comments:

Post a Comment