Wednesday 20 March 2013

Silverbeet & cauliflower pasta bake

I mentioned in my last post about Jamie Oliver's cauliflower risotto with chilli pangratto. I have wanted to make it since I bought the March issue of delicious. magazine. I had cauliflower in the fridge but when I went to the cupboard there was no arborio rice. I have no idea how I let that situation occur and will rectify it as soon as possible! However, I wanted to use up some of the cauliflower. I also have masses of silverbeet growing in the garden so I thought that I could incorporate some of that too. I decided that instead of a risotto I would try a pasta bake. It really was very good. I think you could use a combination of broccoli and cauliflower for something a bit extra. Plus, like JO's risotto I think that the chilli pangratto, sort of a chilli breadcrumbs mixture may add some zing to it. Actually just a combination of parmesan, lemon and breadcrumbs would be nice too. Over all though I loved it. 

Silverbeet & cauliflower pasta bake

50 g butter
50 g flour 
1 tsp salt 
2 - 3 grinds of pepper grinder 
500 g milk
chunk cheddar, diced (perhaps 100 g)
1/3 c shredded parmesan
250 g macaroni, cooked 
1/2 head cauliflower, cut into small florets and steamed
1 bunch silverbeet, chopped, steamed and drained
50 g feta 

Preheat oven to 180 C
Add butter, flour, salt, pepper and milk in thermomix jug. Cook for 9 minutes at 90 C on speed 4. Add cheddar and parmesan and cook for 1 minute at 90 C on speed 2. I prefer that some chunks of cheddar remain. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste.
Combine macaroni and cheese sauce. 
Spread half the macaroni mixture in the bottom of a baking dish top with cauliflower, then silverbeet and finally spread over the remaining macaroni mix. Crumble feta over the top. 
Bake for 20 minutes and then put under the grill for 10 minutes or until golden. 




No comments:

Post a Comment