Saturday 9 March 2013

Fig, prosciutto & caramelised onion pizza

I was given a heap of figs by my grandparents a while ago. I am not too keen on just eating figs as they are so I decided to do something a little different. I had previously used figs to make a fig & goats cheese tranche before (oh what a dreadful photo back then).  It was really good. I had managed to buy 3 kgs of onions as I kept forgetting there was already some in the cupboard so I decided that I needed to cook up some caramelised onions. Since I was doing that I thought that combining those two things would work on a pizza. I am usually a very safe person when it comes to pizza so I decided that it was time to try something different.

This was so very good. It certainly was a wonderful attempt at something a bit different on a pizza. I was a little worried that with the caramelised onion and figs that it would be a bit sweet but it wasn't. I think that the prosciutto cut through the sweetness.

Caramelised onions

1 kg onions
1 tbsp oil 
1 tbsp rapadura sugar (or brown sugar)

Finely slice onions, I use a v-slicer. 
Heat oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are soft. Add sugar and continue cooking until onions are almost melting.

Fig, prosciutto & caramelised onion pizza

1 pizza base 
2 - 3 tbsp caramelised onions
2 slices prosciutto, torn
3 figs, thickly sliced 
4 baby bocconcini, torn
Handful rocket

Top base with ingredients in order except for rocket.
Heat pizza maker and cook pizza for 5 - 6 minutes.   (Or preheat oven to 180 C and bake until golden)
Top with rocket and serve. 



No comments:

Post a Comment