Friday 30 April 2010

April 2010 - Stuffed Mushrooms with Gorgonzola Dressing

With a recipe like Valli Little's Baked Caramel Cheesecake with Toffee Shards on the front cover of issue #92 how could you possibly go wrong. Unfortunately I sort of did, you see I didn't make Valli's cheesecake. I decided that I should make something for a weekend lunch from this issue and instead of choosing Poh's Char Kway Teow, Curtis Stone's Risoni, Roast Tomato & Capsicum Salad, Valli's Chorizo, Corn & Black Bean Salad with Tortillas or Jill Dupleix's Lentil Fritters with Labne I made Andy Bunn's Stuffed Mushroom with Gorgonzola Dressing.

Now to be fair, the actual stuffed mushroom was very good, I did leave out the anchovies though. The beans with it were a very nice with the mushroom and filled it out to be a bit more of a meal. It was just the dressing and, to be honest, I think that may have been my fault. I didn't have any sunflower oil to make the dressing out of so instead I used macadamia oil instead, which I always thought was a rather neutral oil. The dressing tasted terrible and I suspect that my oil may have been rancid. I would recommend the actual stuff mushroom but I don't really know about the dressing. Don't make it with macadamia nut oil if you do try it though...

Stuffed Mushrooms with Gorgonzola Dressing

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 8 anchovies, roughly chopped
  • 3 c (210 g) fresh breadcrumbs
  • 1 c (80 g) grated parmesan
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 4 large flat mushrooms
  • 250 g Roman (flat) beans, trimmed and steamed until just cooked
Gorgonzola Dressing
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
  • 2 tsp hot English mustard
  • 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 100 ml sunflower oil
  • 20 g gorgonzola piccante
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 200 C.
For Dressing:
  • Whiz egg yolk, garlic, mustard & vinegar in a food processor until combined.
  • With the motor running add oil drop by drop at first, then in a steady stream until thick.
  • Add gorgonzola and process until smooth. Set aside.
For Mushrooms:
  • Heat butter and 1 tbsp oil in fry pan. Add onion, garlic and anchovies and cook, stirring occasionally until onion is soft and anchovies dissolve, about 8 minutes.
  • Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs, parmesan and parsley and season with salt & pepper.
  • Remove stalks from mushrooms and place on oiled baking tray.
  • Top with breadcrumb mixture, drizzle with oil and bake 15 minute or until topping golden and mushroom soft.
  • Divide beans between plates and top with a mushroom and drizzle with dressing.

Stuffed Mushroom with gorgonzola dressing

No comments:

Post a Comment