Issue #27 is an interesting issue of delicious. magazine. There was plenty of stuff to read in it. I just loved the article about Rome perhaps one of these days I will travel some where other than Canada. For my next trip I am hoping to purchase a round the world ticket and actually visit some other places although that may also involve having to win the lottery. *lol*
There were really only two recipes that I really wanted to make out of this issue. One being Valli Little's Ricotta Tortas with Marinated Capsicum, which to be honest is just breadcrumb coated ricotta baked in individual quiche tins. Nothing too fancy but the picture looks so good. It would make a lovely lunch with a little green salad on the side. I really like the marinated capsicum too. I always have a jar of it in the fridge as it is wonderful on a toasted ham, sun-dried tomato, marinated capsicum and cream cheese panini (or focaccia depending on what I have on hand).
As much as I liked the sound of the ricotta tortas there really was only one recipe that I truly wanted to make from this issue and one that I was itching to taste from the moment I saw it. It is the winning recipe from a competition on ABC radio here in Australia and it is not hard to see why this Baked Lemon & Coconut Meringue Cheesecake recipe won the competition either. It is a glorious recipe that was beautiful and creamy and deliciously full of citrus tang. It was not overly sweet, which I think is important in a citrus dessert. Some of them are just so sweet that it over powers that lovely tang that lemons, especially, have. I would probably use a plain biscuit for the base next time I make it. The Nice biscuits were good but I don't think that the extra sugar in them is necessary. I ended up making half the recipe and made individual ones rather than one big one. I was so happy with this that I will be making it the next time I am entertaining. In fact, I loved it so much I wanted to make it again straight away. While there are a few steps it is still really easy to make and I highly recommend it.
Baked Lemon & Coconut Meringue Cheesecake
- 330 g Nice biscuits (I would use any plain biscuit)
- 120 g unsalted butter, melted
- 500 g cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 c (150 g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, plus 2 extra egg yolks
- 1/2 c (125 ml) lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 eggwhites
- 1/2 c (110 g) caster sugar
- 1 c dessicated coconut (I used shredded and would use slightly less next time)
- Pre-heat oven to 160 C.
- Grease an 8-cm deep 20 cm loose bottomed tart pan.
- Process biscuits to fine crumbs, add butter and 1 tbsp water and blitz to combine.
- Press into base and sides of tart pan. Place on a baking tray and refrigerate until needed.
- Blitz cream cheese in cleaned processor bowl until smooth then slowly add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Add eggs and extra yolks one at a time, blitzing only until just combined. Add juice and zest and process until combined.
- Pour into tart pan and bake for 30 minutes (or until there is only a slight wobble).
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks in a clean bowl.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until thick and glossy.
- Fold in coconut.
- Carefully spread the topping over the cheesecake.
- Return to the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes or until lightly golden and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool completely.
Oh they look LOVELY Krista! You're so good at adjusting recipes to work for you:)ReplyDelete
Thanks Coby, they were so yummy.ReplyDelete
Adjusting a recipe is a necessity so that I am not eating the same thing over and over for a week. You do get used to it and after awhile it becomes automatic. ;)