Monday 30 August 2010

August 2008 - Gypsy Eggs

I meant to get this post done before I went to work this morning but some how it just didn't happen. I was up in plenty of time but I just didn't get around to doing it. 

There were some interesting recipes in issue #74. When first going through the issue again I had two recipes already marked to try. The first was Sumac lamb with carrot rosti. I purchased sumac a while ago to try out another recipe from delicious. At the time it was the first time that I had used it and I was impressed with the citrusy tang to it. I have used it in various other recipes since then, including sprinkling it on potatoes and then drizzling with olive oil before roasting. I was interested with the combination with lamb. The carrot rosti also sounded like a nice side dish, although the recipe looked like it would make a huge amount and might be a bit difficult to reduce, although I am sure that I could if I really tried. 

I decided to go with making Valli Little's Gypsy Eggs for lunch on Saturday as I had everything to make it with the exception of the prosciutto/jamon but I did have bacon so used that instead. It was easy quick and tasty. I served it on some toasted English muffins and it was perfect for lunch. I halved the recipe and made it in a slightly bigger dish with two eggs. I saved the leftovers for Sunday breakfast. The egg didn't reheat all that well, but the tomato/chorizo base was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment