Friday 21 December 2012

December 2012 - Chicken with chorizo mango & piquillo

Like every year this is a double issue and there are plenty of things to make during December and January even with the delivery of my Thermomix sometime soon. Perhaps there are things to make with the Thermomix, I will have to look at the recipes again with a different eye. 

I was going to make Bill Granger's quinoa fritters with green goddess sauce. I did make the sauce and it is excellent. I cooked the quinoa. Well, sort of cooked the quinoa. I forgot it on the stove and boiled it dry. So dry that it was starting to smoke. OOPS. It was a nightmare trying to get my saucepan clean. I did manage to though. I haven't tried again but have eaten all the sauce, first as a dressing in a rice salad and secondly with some carrot and celery sticks. I am planning to try making it again in the next week. 

I decided to make the Chicken with chorizo, mango & piquillo. It was very good. Both the chicken and the salsa were really good. I am probably more likely to make the chicken again than the salsa though as I really love just eating mango rather than cooking with it. The recipe uses chicken breast with the skin on. I never seem to be able to find it with skin on and I am too lazy to buy a whole chicken and chop it up myself. I used some chicken thigh cutlets and it was wonderful. I served with coleslaw.

Chicken with chorizo, mango & piquillo

4 chicken thigh cutlets
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika (I used 3 tsp sweet & 1 tsp of hot for some pep)
100 ml olive oil (I wouldn't have used closed to this much) 
1 chorizo, chopped 
400 g jar piquillo peppers or roasted capsicum, drain & chopped (I used roasted capsicum) 
1 mango, chopped 
2 tbsp parley, chopped 
Juice of 1 lemon (I used lime) 

Cut slits in the chicken. Combine paprika, garlic and 2 tbsp oil in a bowl and add chicken and coat. Marinate for 4 hours or overnight (recipe said 30 min I didn't think it was long enough). 
Pre-heat oven to 180C. 
Heat oil in fry pan (I just added a little bit of oil). Add chorizo and fry until cooked. Remove and drain. 
Add chicken to the pan and brown on one side and then place in the oven for 15 - 18 minutes or until cooked through (recipe was 10 -12 min, I added extra time since the thigh was on the bone). 
Combine remaining ingredients with the chorizo. 
Serve chicken with salsa. 


No comments:

Post a Comment