Friday 25 June 2010

June 2006 - Greek Egg & Feta Pies

Okay, so I really want to get another post done but I am not feeling too well tonight so I will keep it reasonably short. Although I must say that it really will not be hard to keep it short on this one. I certainly wasn't overwhelmed for choice of vegetarian meals from issue #50. There are only 7 vegetarian recipes from the 48 recipes listed in the index, excluding desserts and side dishes. That really is a disappointing number.

I was going to make Valli Little's Spiced Haloumi Pasta. An intriguing mixture of pasta, haloumi and Indian spices served with naan and mango chutney. I was unable to find any fresh curry leaves (or dried for that matter) so I decided to leave this one for a time when I am able to get some. I have bought fresh curry leaves locally in the past so I am assuming that it is a seasonal product and this just isn't the right season.

I ended up making Jill Dupleix's Greek Egg & Feta Pies. These were incredibly simple and very tasty. I only did two things differently. I used puff pastry instead of phaffing around with filo and I chopped up the black olives and sprinkled them on top before baking. I would definitely make these again. Jill suggested serving with salad but it was cold so I cooked some beans and reheated the last of the Airport Potatoes to go with them.

Greek Egg & Feta Pies (my way, LOL)

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 sheet puff pastry (thawed)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 30 g feta, crumbled (I am not sure how much I used, I think I could have used more)
  • 1 green onion, green part only finely sliced
  • 4 black olives finely chopped
Method:
  • Preheat oven to 180 C.
  • Divide puff pastry into four. Roll each piece slightly and then use to line a well greased texas muffin pan.
  • Crack egg into each of the pastry cases being careful not to break the yolk.
  • Sprinkle with feta, green onions and olives. Season with pepper.
  • Bake in oven for 15 minute or until pastry is golden and eggs are set.

Egg & Feta Pies

No comments:

Post a Comment