Wednesday 30 June 2010

June 2010 - Creamy Onion Tart in Walnut Pastry

On to the final issue for June. I cannot believe how quickly this month has passed. In fact it is hard to believe that I am half way through my back issues. I have discovered some wonderful recipes, and not just the ones that I have actually made and posted but all the others that I have marked to make as well. I really hope that I will go back more often and look through the back issues for some thing to make.

I have to admit that besides Valli Little's Spanish Pear Tarts with Pedro Ximenez syrup on the cover I didn't really consider any other recipe than the one I made from issue #94. I am sure there are plenty of good recipes in there and flicking through some things do look quite good. However Debbie Major's Creamy Onion Tart in Walnut Pastry caught my eyes and after that I wasn't interested in anything else. This was a great recipe and super easy to make. The pastry was a bit salty, I wouldn't add the salt when making it next time. The filling was fairly rich given all the cream and eggs in it but it was definitely worth it. I had it for dinner but I think that it would make a wonderful lunch.

Creamy Onion Tart in Walnut Pastry

Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 30 g unsalted butter
  • 4 large onions (about 450 g total), thinly sliced
  • 2 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 3 large eggs
  • 300 ml thickened cream (I used pure cream)
  • 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
Walnut pastry
  • 175 g plain flour
  • 1/2 cup (50 g) toasted walnuts
  • 100 g chilled unsalted butter, chopped
Method:
  • For the pastry: place flour, walnuts and 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor and blend until nuts are finely chopped.
  • Add butter and process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  • Add 1 1/2 tbsp cold water and process until mixture comes together in a ball.
  • Wrap dough in plastic and chill for 15 minutes.
  • Roll between two pieces of baking paper until 5 mm thick. Line 23 cm loose-bottomed tart pan. Chill for 30 minutes (I put it in the freezer for 10 instead).
  • Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pan over a low heat.
  • Add onion and a pinch of salt, cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally, until onion is very soft but not browned.
  • Preheat oven to 200 C.
  • Line pastry shell with baking paper and pie weights or rice and bake for 20 minutes. Remove paper and bake for a further 5 minutes .
  • Reduce oven to 190 C.
  • Mix onions with parley, salt and pepper and then spread over the base of the tart shell.
  • Beat eggs, cream and nutmeg together with a fork and pour over the onions.
  • Bake for 25 minutes or until set and lightly browned.

Creamy Onion Tart in Walnut Pastry

Creamy Onion Tart in Walnut Pastry slice

No comments:

Post a Comment