Sunday 17 October 2010

October 2005 - Baby Spinach, Avocado & Pepita Salad

I have had a busy day making cakes and cake decorations for my next birthday cake. The cakes turned out excellently and I am really pleased with the decorations. It was my first time using a silicone mould. It worked really well, although dusting with cornflour was definitely necessary to get the decorations out without having to gouge them out. The addition of gum tragacanth to the fondant made it a lot easier to work with. I was surprised at the cost of it though. It was very expensive from online stores, once I added postage it was about $22 for 20 grams! Instead I went to my local chemist and got them to order some in for me and I got 100g for $45. However, I really don't need that much, so I am considering packaging some up and selling it on ebay. I figure that I can put it in ziplock bags and it will be pretty inexpensive to post. Although if I do end up getting some orders then perhaps I will need it down the track. 

I had initially planned on making the Crumbed chicken on roast kumara salad in issue #43. However on the evening I was going to make this I decided that I really needed to use some of the amazing amount of leftovers that I had in the fridge. So I decided to re-heat some of the Harissa roast pork belly I had a small amount of the carrot & walnut salad left, but not nearly enough. So I had a quick look through this issue and came up with Nigella's baby spinach, avocado & pepita salad. It was quick, easy and very good. I love avocado in salad and pepitas gave a lovely crunch to the salad. I even used my own home-grown spinach in it. 

Baby spinach, avocado & pepita salad 

Serves 6 

Ingredients:
  • 250g baby spinach leaves 
  • 1/2 c (80 g) pepitas (pumpkin seeds) 
  • 2 small avocados (400g), flesh chopped
  • 1 tsp pumpkin-seed oil (I used walnut oil)
  • 2 tbsp peanut oil (I used walnut oil) 
  • Zest & juice of 1 lime
Method: 
  • Combine oils, zest and juice and set aside. 
  • Combine spinach, pepitas and avocado. 
  • Add dressing and toss to coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment