Saturday 5 February 2011

Bill's Goat's Curd and Lentil Salad with Roasted Beetroot

I mentioned before that I was struggling along. Things seem to have taken a little turn for the worse and I am definitely fighting depression again. I have done it before and certainly been in a lot blacker of a place than I am at the moment but it still makes life difficult. I have fought it back previously and will do so again. So far I have been managing to do the basics. Washing clothes and most importantly cooking decent food for myself. This is really important as food really does influence my moods and it is so easy to slip into poor eating habits. I remember eating large amounts of macaroni and cheese full of bacon and onion, home made at least, but still quite bad in large amounts without much in the way of colour to go with it. Most days I almost have to fight myself to get up and cook food. Once I force myself into the kitchen and get cooking I do enjoy the process and results of my effort. 

I have been so pleased that most of the recipes in Bill's Sydney Food are very quick and easy to make. There are a few that involve a bit more effort, although most of those are more winter fare and by the time I get to those I will be feeling much better. I was able to get some lovely small to medium beetroot from the green grocer recently so I decided to make Goat's Curd and Lentil Salad with Roasted Beetroot. It was so very good. Bill's introduction to the recipe commented on the curd being lighter and less pungent than goats cheese. I was unable to get goats curd and it wasn't until a couple of days later that I realised that I could have bought some goat's milk and made the curd myself. Instead I just used cottage cheese and think that it worked perfectly. This was a very filling dish and perfect for a summer meal. I roasted the beets earlier in the day. The lentils probably could have been cooked a tad longer but it was still a wonderful dish. I also think that it would be excellent made from quinoa or farro too. 

Curd and Lentil Salad with Roasted Beetroot

Serves 4

Ingredients: 

4 medium beetroot, roasted, peeled and sliced into thick slices 
1 cup lentils du Puy (I used French-style), cooked until tender
1/4 c diced Spanish onion 
1/4 c seeded and diced tomato
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp finely chopped mint
1/4 c finely chopped parsley 
8 asparagus spears, blanched and cooled 
200g cottage cheese (or goat's curd)

Method: 

Combine lentils, onion, tomato, oil, vinegar, parsley, mint and season with salt and pepper. 
Divided between plates, top with asparagus, curd and finally sliced beetroot. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks sooooooooo delicious!!! Hopefully i can make it this week for dinner. Keep on posting- you're blog is bookmarked in my favourites. I love it! You're doing so well!

    ReplyDelete