Saturday 19 February 2011

Bill's Ricotta and Tomato Tart

I woke up one morning 5 days ago with a large red mark on my face. It looked rather strange so I got squeezed in at the doctor. She wasn't really sure what it was but thought probably some kind of infection so put me on antibiotics. I ended up having to go home from work early that day. Luckily the next day was Wednesday and my day off work. I was okay in the morning but slept most of the afternoon away. I did manage to work the next day but it looked like it was spreading so I toddled off to the doctor again but she didn't want me to change anything but to come back the next day. By the end of the work day I was completely wrecked and my boss told me not to come in the next day. It was a relief not to have to get up and go to work yesterday. I went back to the doctor. Some of the redness had gone down and there was a clear lump so she thought that perhaps I had been bitten by a spider during the night. No change to the medication, just keep on with it and I should be okay. I, again, slept most of the afternoon away. It has been an unpleasant experience and I am still feeling pretty awful. I hope I am okay by Monday.

This is one of my catching up on things long past made. Part of what I love so much about this cook book is that it is divided up into breakfast, lunch and dinner. Although most of the lunch & dinner recipes can be flipped around easily. I was in the supermarket one day and came across a 1 kg package of fresh ricotta reduced in price and remembering Bill's fabulous looking Ricotta and Tomato Tart I decided to get it and make it. Bill gives a recipe for a rough puff pastry but being short of time and tired on the day I really didn't feel like making pastry so I used some frozen sheets of puff pastry. Since I was using these I decided that it was best to put it all in a pie dish rather than attempting a free-form pie. I really enjoyed this. It was a lot lighter than a traditional quiche but still substantial enough to make a main meal. It would be rather plain without the tomato, I think that the addition of some sautéed onion to the mix would make a real difference. I did actually use the rocket, I decided to put aside my normal aversion to it as I knew that the peppery taste would help. It was lovely hot for dinner but just as good cold for lunch the next day. This one will definitely be going into the rotation for lunches. 

Ricotta and Tomato Tart 

Ingredients 
  • 2 medium ripe tomatoes, finely sliced
  • 2 c ricotta
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 c cream
  • 1/4 c finely grated Parmesan
  • 1 c rocket, finely shredded
Method:
  • Pre-heat oven to 200 C. 
  • Line greased pie dish with two sheets of thawed puff pastry, overlapping so completely cover the dish. 
  • Mix together ricotta, eggs, cream, parmasean and season with salt and black pepper.
  • Fold in the rocket and then spoon mixture into prepared pie shell. 
  • Layer the thinly sliced tomatoes over the cheese mixture, overlapping them slightly. 
  • Bake for 35-40 minutes (or until crust is golden and middle is set).
  • Allow to rest for about 15 minutes before slicing.
  • Serve with a green salad. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh yum, i absolutely love Ricotta so will definitely have to try this for an indulgent lunch i think! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete