Sunday 10 April 2011

Roast mushrooms with thyme

Okay, so I have just about finished catching up on all the Bill Granger recipes that I have made over the past couple of months, only one more to go after this. There are a few other things that I want to post about but I will really have to get started cooking from Sydney Food again or I soon wont have anything to post about. I had a really slack week cookingwise last week. Really the only decent meal I had was made by a friend. **oops** Oh well, determined to get back on track this coming week.

I really love that there are so many breakfast recipes in this book. There are some really fantastic ones. I do find though that I just don't make them on work days so it has to happen on weekends. Some times I get distracted in the mornings on the weekend and I end up not getting breakfast until it is almost lunch time. Not that it is really a problem. Most of these recipes could also be for lunch. I did manage to get this mushroom dish done fairly early so it was still breakfast. I didn't have any taleggio so used some havarti that I had in the fridge instead. It is not the most attractive looking dish but it was yummy. I reminded me of Jacques Raymond's Baked Mushrooms that I made back in December. I would probably be more likely to make Jacques' recipe again but Bill's was so easy that it probably could be made before work. 

Roast mushrooms with thyme

Ingredients: 
  •  8 large field (portobello) mushrooms, about 10cm diameter 
  • 1 tbsp thyme, roughly chopped (I used lemon thyme) 
  • 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 1 lemon, juice 
  • 1 large garlic clove, cut into 8 slivers 
  • 200g baby english spinach, washed 
  • 150g italian taleggio cheese, sliced 
  • 4 thick slices toast, to serve 
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, to serve
Method: 
  • Preheat oven to 200C. 
  • Put mushrooms in a roasting tin. Mix thyme, oil and lemon juice together and pour over mushrooms. Put a sliver of garlic on each mushroom and bake for 10 minutes. 
  • Meanwhile, put damp spinach in a frying pan over medium heat and turn with a spatula until wilted. 
  • Remove mushrooms from oven. Top each mushroom with a little spinach and some sliced cheese. Return to oven for 5–6 minutes until cheese has melted.
  • To serve, put 2 mushrooms on each slice of toast. Drizzle with pan juices and balsamic vinegar.

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I bet that lemon thyme made a huge difference!!!! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Mushrooms and thyme and taleggio, why I have never thought of this before?

    ReplyDelete