This past weekend a friend and I took a little trip away for a few days. It was so good to get away from home even if only for just a few days. I managed to go to the beach, do some shopping, have a pedicure and met some lovely new people. If you are ever in the mid-north NSW coast town of Coffs Harbour I would highly recommend paying a visit to Macauleys Restaurant. The meal was fantastic, the service wonderful and the atmosphere terrific. We ate off the wonderful menu for the most part except for the Five-spice duck breast and pomegranate salad I had for an entrée, which was a special. It was the best dish that I have had in a restaurant in a long time, such a simple dish too. The spiced duck breast was perfectly cooked and the simple salad of red onion, rocket and pomegranate arils was perfect. I will definitely be going back the next time I am in Coffs Harbour.
This Spicy Chicken Salad with Lime was something that I made ages ago now but I have made it several times since then. It is simple and fresh and perfect for an easy lunch or a light dinner. I love the spiciness from the Szechuan peppercorns, although make sure to roast them off a bit before grinding to release their flavours. If you cannot find them they are available at many of the online spice stores, I buy from Herbies. I replace the coriander in the recipe with parsley but other than that it is made as per Bill's recipe. I managed to score a kilo of limes at the markets in Coffs Harbour so will more than likely make this again on the weekend for lunch.
Spicy Chicken Salad with Lime
- 4 chicken breasts
- olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, halved, de-seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp ground Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
- lime wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 200. Pre-heat frying pan over a high heat.
- Brush chicken with oil and season.
- Sear breasts for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
- Rest 20 minutes then slice or shred.
- Combine chicken, cucumber, parsley and mint in a bowl.
- Mix szechuan, fish sauce, sesame oil and lime juice and then pour over chicken etc.
- Divide lettuce between 4 serving bowls and top with chicken mixture and green onions and serve with a lime wedge.
Such lovely, healthy, colourful recipes!ReplyDelete