Wednesday 6 April 2011

Spicy Chicken Salad with Lime

Oh oh, it would appear that I had a little lapse in concentration for a couple of weeks there and forgot about posting. I kept meaning to come and post the new things that I was making but I just never seemed to get it done. I have been busy with a bit of a social life lately. **shock** So have not had as much time in the evenings to post. Still, it is no excuse for neglecting my little blog for so long.

This past weekend a friend and I took a little trip away for a few days. It was so good to get away from home even if  only for just a few days. I managed to go to the beach, do some shopping, have a pedicure and met some lovely new people. If you are ever in the mid-north NSW coast town of Coffs Harbour I would highly recommend paying a visit to Macauleys Restaurant. The meal was fantastic, the service wonderful and the atmosphere terrific. We ate off the wonderful menu for the most part except for the Five-spice duck breast and pomegranate salad I had for an entrĂ©e, which was a special. It was the best dish that I have had in a restaurant in a long time, such a simple dish too. The spiced duck breast was perfectly cooked and the simple salad of red onion, rocket and pomegranate arils was perfect. I will definitely be going back the next time I am in Coffs Harbour. 

This Spicy Chicken Salad with Lime was something that I made ages ago now but I have made it several times since then. It is simple and fresh and perfect for an easy lunch or a light dinner. I love the spiciness from the Szechuan peppercorns, although make sure to roast them off a bit before grinding to release their flavours. If you cannot find them they are available at many of the online spice stores, I buy from Herbies. I replace the coriander in the recipe with parsley but other than that it is made as per Bill's recipe. I managed to score a kilo of limes at the markets in Coffs Harbour so will more than likely make this again on the weekend for lunch. 

Spicy Chicken Salad with Lime

Ingredients
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • olive oil 
  • sea salt 
  • freshly ground black pepper 
  • 1 cucumber, halved, de-seeded and thinly sliced
  • 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped 
  • 1 cup mint leaves, roughly chopped 
  • 1 tsp ground Szechuan peppercorns
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil 
  • 3 tbsp lime juice 
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce 
  • lime wedges 
Method: 
  • Pre-heat oven to 200. Pre-heat frying pan over a high heat.
  • Brush chicken with oil and season. 
  • Sear breasts for 2 minutes each side. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until cooked through. 
  • Rest 20 minutes then slice or shred. 
  • Combine chicken, cucumber, parsley and mint in a bowl. 
  • Mix szechuan, fish sauce, sesame oil and lime juice and then pour over chicken etc. 
  • Divide lettuce between 4 serving bowls and top with chicken mixture and green onions and serve with a lime wedge.

1 comment: