Monday 20 June 2011

Meatloaf with Red Quinoa & Mushroom Sauce

It is a bit late to be starting a new blog post now but my bedroom is freezing cold and I need to let the heater in there do its job for a little while before going to bed. It is probably not as cold as it could be tonight but still cold enough that I don't want to be trying to sleep in a cold room. I did finally succumb last night and pulled out my heavy wool doona for the first time this winter. I was definitely warmer last night than I had been the night before and it was definitely colder last night. 

This is a recipe that I have been meaning to post for over a month now. It was the first thing that I made with my purchase of red quinoa. When I first purchased it I did a google search to see what I could come up with to make with it and I came across this meatloaf recipe over at Simple Recipes. It definitely sounded like a good way to start testing the red quinoa out. I do love meat loaf especially that you end up with a bunch of left overs that can be used to make meatloaf sandwiches for lunch during the coming week. I decided to make a few changes to the recipe. My mum almost always did a mushroom sauce with meatloaf. Hers usually involved a tin of cream of mushroom soup which is fine for family size but too much for a smaller one. I have done it with a sachet of mushroom cup-a-soup. However for this one I just sautéed a handful of mushrooms in some garlic olive oil and added some cream, a little bit of dijon mustard and some salt and pepper. It was just perfect with the meatloaf. I served this with harvard beets & carrots, peas and mash. It was a wonderful meal. I think next time I will do it in my mini loaf pans. I had intended on adding in the tomatoes, I forgot but next time would add them for a bit of extra moisture.

Meatloaf with Read Quinoa

Ingredients
  • 450 g lean beef mince
  • 450 g lean pork mince
  • 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed and pre-soaked in water for about 30 minutes
  • 1 small onion finely chopped and sautéed in some oil until soft
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tsp chilli paste, or to taste
  • 2 tsp mixed herbs
  • Dash worcestershire sauce
  • ½ bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  • Mix all the ingredients together. 
  • Place in a oven safe dish and bake for 40 minutes at 175 C.
 

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious and I really like the addition of quinoa and the mushroom sauce to it too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lorraine. I was really pleased with how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete