I can't sleep tonight. I am tired and feeling rather blah but I just cannot seem to get so sleep. I was going to start a recipe for tomorrow night but on reading over it again it had to simmer for 3 hours. While I am having trouble getting to sleep at 11 pm I don't really want to have to stay up until 2 am waiting for something to finish cooking. So it will just have to wait until tomorrow. At least not sleeping gives me a chance to get caught up on some things that have been languishing around for a while and also schedule some posts for the next few days.
I bought some dried black beans ages ago and I haven't used them very much. There are a lot of different recipes that I have come across that use them but I just haven't gotten around to making any of them. The beans work very well in a taco/nacho filling though. I have made two different ones now. I really like vegetarian mixes for nachos and tacos. I also make my own seasoning mix. So much better for you than the ones you buy in the supermarket. I made a few extra tweaks to my seasoning mix this time and was very pleased with the results. I am glad that I wrote this recipe out while making so that I could replicate it as it was very good.
Black Bean & Vegie Tacos
- 1/2 c black beans, soaked overnight & boiled until cooked.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 250 g mushrooms, finely diced
- 4 tsp homemade taco seasoning (or to taste)
- 1 can tomatoes
- 300g can corn (undrained)
- 2 – 3 tbsp tomato paste
- Heat oil in fry pan over medium heat add onion and cook 4 -5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook a further minute.
- Add capsicum, carrot & zucchini and cook stirring for a few minutes. Add mushrooms and stir in. Sprinkle over taco seasoning and stir for a few minutes or until fragrant.
- Add beans, tomatoes, corn and tomato paste. Let simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve with tortillas or over corn chips with grated cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream or yoghurt.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
- 6 tsp Chilli Powder
- 5 tsp Paprika (3 tsp sweet, 2 tsp hot smoked)
- 4 ½ tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Coriander
- 3 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- In storage container with tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months.