Sunday 1 April 2012

Chicken & Mushroom Fajitas

Ugh, end of daylight savings today. I suppose it is a good thing, although I do like daylight savings in the summer. However the first few days after coming off or going on always suck. I am very tired tonight so hopefully I will actually be able to get to sleep early. 

I first had chicken & mushroom fajitas in a restaurant in Canada. They were really, really good. When I came home I made them using a bought mix and, of course, they weren't nearly as good. Although I had done them a few times since. Well, yesterday I decided that I was going to make some for dinner. I went looking around the net for a recipe. I didn't find anything that really grabbed me so I kind of just made it up as I went along. They turned out really, really well. They weren't quite spicy enough for me but I hadn't put chilli powder in as I was using hot smoked paprika and it does have a bite. So next time I will put some chilli powder in, probably 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of mexican chilli powder. Served with grated cheese and yoghurt on top with a rocket & tomato salad on the side. 

Chicken & Mushroom Fajitas 

500 g chicken thighs, trimmed and sliced into strips
1 tsp hot smoked paprika (if you don't have the hot smoked, use 1 tsp smoked paprika & 1/4 tsp chilli powder)
1 tsp sweet paprika 
1/2 tsp ground allspice 
1 tsp oregano 
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
1 tbsp sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar) 
250 g mushrooms, quartered (or two large flat mushrooms cut into wedges)
1 red capsicum, sliced into strips 
1 red onion, cut into wedges
tortillas, yoghurt, grated cheese & salad to serve

Combine paprika, allspice, oregano, onion powder, olive oil and vinegar in a bowl. Add chicken strips and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. 
Heat some oil in a large fry pan over a medium high heat. Cook chicken in batches until sealed and starting to brown. Remove and set aside. 
Add onion and capsicum to pan and cook until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until starting to soften. Return chicken to pan cook until chicken is done. 
Serve in warmed tortillas topped with grated cheese & yoghurt. 


No comments:

Post a Comment