Tuesday 17 July 2012

Caramel Dumplings

There are some recipes that are definitely winter recipes. I always make more stews, soups, and roasts in the winter. Mulled wine and mulled cider are something that comes to mind as winter recipes. Plenty of dessert recipes are winter recipes as well. Puddings, pies, crumbles, poached or baked pears and baked apples are all winter desserts as far as I am concerned. 

This is a winter recipes. I have been making this since I was about 10 or 12 years old. The original recipe was from and old Women's Weekly recipe but I have changed it a little bit over the years. Mainly reduced the sugar as it was a bit sweet for me. I also reduced the flour a bit as I always found that it was a bit dry. I always end up with too much of the dumpling mixture left over anyway. This would have to be one of the desserts that I associate with a specific time of year and it really is a good one. 

Caramel Dumplings 

1 c flour 
2 tsp baking powder 
pinch salt
1/3 c caster sugar
30 g butter
1 tsp vanilla 
1/3 c milk 

Sauce:

30 g butter 
1 c brown sugar
pinch salt
1 1/4 c water 

Combine flour, baking powder salt and sugar. Rub in butter until it resembles breadcrumbs.
Combine milk and vanilla an then add to flour and mix until just combined, if it is a bit dry add a little more milk.
In a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, melt the butter.  Add brown sugar, salt and water and bring to the boil. 
Drop spoonfuls of the dumpling mixture into the sauce and then place the lid on and simmer for 20 minutes. 
Serve with cream or ice cream.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting how you would mix in what is usually a dish served with meat or vegetables and turn it into a dessert. Quality recipe!

    ReplyDelete