Monday 1 October 2012

Quinoa orange, ginger, carrot & coconut salad





I bought this book a while ago now and have only made this one recipe so far. I plan on making a lot more but so many recipes, so little time. LOL 

I really quite enjoyed this salad. I didn't have an orange but did have some tangelos so used one of those instead. I also used red quinoa as I don't have any black but I will try to get some and give it another try to see what the difference is. I am not usually a fan of sweet things in salad but I really did like this one. I didn't add as much ginger as was in the recipe as I was worried about it overpowering it but I really should have used the whole amount. I made half the recipe but it still made plenty. I served with herbed salmon and steamed asparagus.

Quinoa orange, ginger, carrot & coconut salad 

3/4 c black quinoa, rinsed and drained 
1 3/4 c water
4 medium carrots, grated 
1/2 sultanas
3/4 c shredded coconut
3 tbsp chives (I would probably use green onions next time) 
juice & zest of 1 orange (zest wasn't in recipe but I added)
1 tbsp grated ginger 
2 tbsp olive oil 
2 - 3 tbsp lime juice

Bring water & quinoa to the boil then cover and simmer until water is absorbed. Let cool. 
Add carrot, sultanas, coconut & chives. Mix juice & zest, ginger, oil & lime juice then pour over quinoa. Toss and refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavours combine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment