Monday 28 January 2013

Cake decorating - Bananas in Pyjamas

My friend's husband turned 40 this year and they were having a big party. My friend asked me if I could make a cake. She asked if I could make a bananas in pyjamas cake for him for a specific reason. When she asked me if I could make the cake she said that the B1 & B2 figures were difficult to get where we live. I just said that I could make something. I was so happy with how they turned out. I made them from fondant with a bit of tragacanth added to harden things up.

To make life easier I bought the satin ice blue fondant. The colour that showed on the website was nothing like what I received. It was an incredible electric blue so I ended up combining it half and half with some white. I had a few issues when it came to covering the cake. I was so worried about the heat and humidity affecting the fondant that I had my air conditioning cranked up but I think I probably should have had it at a higher temperature as the fondant dried out some and there was a little bit of, not cracking exactly, but certainly "pulling" on the edges in some places. I also had real problems with the corners. I have no idea why. I have never had any issues with corners before. It was rather frustrating.

For the lettering I purchased some of the Clikstiks cutters. They are so easy to use. I have a set of the Wilton letter cutters and I have never been able to get letters out of them without destroying them. I also have a set of FMM letter cutters. They are okay but still a lot more difficult to use. They are smaller though so they have their place. 

I was so very happy with the resulting cake and it was completely devoured at the party so everyone else loved it too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment