Wednesday 6 August 2014

Feast - Heather Honey Chicken

It has been a long, long time since I have been compelled to blog about a recipe immediately after having finished it but I just had to tonight.

I don't often buy Feast magazine anymore. I find that so many of the recipes have stuff in them that I just cannot access. I was looking through the magazines last night when I was shopping and flicked through this issue. I noticed a few things that I would like to make and have access to all the ingredients. This is the first of those recipes.

So this dish was amazing. There is so much flavour and the meat just melted. I would use a bit less oil next time, and there will be a next time. I just loved this. The name refers to honey from heather flowers. They said in the magazine that it has a very limited availability here and to substitute manuka honey. Well, I didn't have that but I had recently bought 1 kg of local honey so, of course, used that. I think a leatherwood honey would been good. I didn't have any dijon mustard either. I had two choices a hot mustard or wholegrain. I went with the wholegrain. Although maybe a mix of the two would have been better. Oh it doesn't really matter, it was wonderful just the way it was.

Heather Honey chicken
Feast magazine - September 2014 - page 60

1.7 kg whole chicken
2 onions, cut into wedges
6 sprigs rosemary (apparently my plant is dead, I used dried)
100 ml olive oil
90 g (1/4c) manuka honey
1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tbsp curry powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed

Preheat oven - 180 C
Put onion & rosemary in casserole dish with a lid. Add half the oil.
Mix remaining oil, honey, mustard, curry powder & garlic. Place chicken in casserole dish & pour over honey mix.
Roast, covered, 30 minutes. Remove lid & bake further 1 hour or until cooked basting as necessary.
Let rest 10 minutes before serving.


Heather Honey chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment