Wednesday 1 September 2010

August 2010 - Oatmeal & Raisin Cookies

Final post for August. This month seems to have gone on for an eternity. For some reason I just haven't been able to get into the swing of it this month and I struggled to get everything made and all these posts done. I have to admit to being slightly frustrated with this issue as there was a lot of recipes in it with gourmet ingredients. There were so many recipes that involved ingredients that, firstly, I didn't already have and, secondly, would be very difficult to source in a regional area. While I have no problem ordering online sometimes it would be nice not to have to find unusual items. It would be nice if they would offer substitute ingredients too. 

To be honest I wasn't overly interested in much in this issue.  While everything looked good there just wasn't that much that I really wanted to make myself. The poached quince & white chocolate trifles on the front cover look really good but I didn't have any quinces and I just didn't feel like making them. 

I ended up making Bill Granger's Oatmeal & Raisin cookies. When I went to the cupboard I didn't have any raisins or sultanas but I did have some dark chocolate chips so I decided to use those instead. These are very easy to make and very tasty, especially with the chocolate in them, although I am sure the raisins would be good too. They were a bit sweet though. I think that 220g of brown sugar was way too much. Probably 170g or 180g would be plenty. 

Oatmeal & Raisin Cookies

Makes 30 (I got 36) 

Ingredients 
  • 150g unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 firmly packed cup (220g) brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 1 cup (150g) plain flour
  • 200g rolled oats
  • 1 cup (190g) raisins 
Method: 
  • Preheat oven to 180 C and line 2 large trays with baking paper. 
  • Beat butter and sugar until thick and pale. 
  • Add vanilla and egg and beat until combined. 
  • Add flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and beat slowly until combined. 
  • Stir in oats and raisins. 
  • Roll tablespoons of dough into balls and place on trays, flattening slightly. 
  • Bake for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden. 

5 comments:

  1. Hey! I found your blog through vogue. These look delicious, and really moist! Love the concept of your blog. I am a fellow delicious addict :)
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really quite soft and chewy. Glad to know that there is another delicious addict out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment about August being tedious and painful. And windy too.
    Vale August for another year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katren,
    Just stopping by to say that my mum made these today (with a few alterations based on what she had on hand), and she loved them! Wishing I lived at home right about now ;)
    Thanks again xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great Heidi, glad to hear that she loved them. It is a nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete