Wednesday 22 September 2010

September 2005 - Jamie Oliver's The Best Chorizo Sandwich

Well, I survived confession day at work without any problems. Although I did obsess about it right up until it was out in the open. I had planned to do this post earlier however I ended up having to work today, my day off, so did not get anything that I wanted to do today done. I really missed my day off pottering around in my garden and doing some house work so that I don't have to spend all weekend doing it. Oh well, I guess that the money for the extra day will be nice in my pay packet this week. 

I did consider making Juliette Kellow's Guacamole salad, which was a simple salad of lettuce, tomato, avocado, sun dried tomatoes, (the dreaded) coriander with a simple dressing. I also considered Bill Granger's My dahl recipe which sounded really nice but was also full of the dreaded coriander. I know that I could have left it out of both recipes but I decided that it would just be easier to make something else. 

On one of my days off I was looking for something to have for lunch. It was a bit of a miserable day so was looking for something warm to have. I decided on making Jamie Oliver's The Best Chorizo Sandwich and it really was the best. Although I will admit that it was the only chorizo sandwich that I have ever had. Not every day fare but definitely something to make again. The left over chickpea mixture was very nice with some crackers too. I didn't have any buns so instead served it on toasted bread. It was an easy, full of flavour lunch for a day off.

The Best Chorizo Sandwich 

Serves 4 

Ingredients 
  • 4 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced 
  • 1 red chilli, seeded and sliced (I didn't have fresh chilli so used a shake of chilli flakes) 
  • Extra virgin olive oil 
  • 410 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • Zest & juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • 4 chorizo, sliced on the diagonal 
  • 4 bread rolls 
  • Rocket (I used pea sprouts) 
Method: 
  • Mix tomatoes, chilli & a dash of olive oil. 
  • Warm chickpeas in a pan over a medium heat, then season and add lemon zest, juice and a dash of olive oil. Whiz it up in a food processor until finely chopped. (I added some of the tomato mixture to help it whiz up without having to add too much oil.) Stir in tomato mixture.
  • Heat pan over a medium-high heat and fry chorizo until warm and starting to crisp on edges.
  • Split rolls, spread with the chorizo mix, top with chorizo and rocket. 

No comments:

Post a Comment